Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Living With Cancer - The End of My Affair With Chemmie

 by

Chemmie went out of my life as my cancer went into remission in November 2011. That was a hallelujah day! Although the affair with Chemmie was over, I only had a few month's respite because the cancer reappeared in February 2012. Chemmie never returned. My oncologist decided to continue the treatment with oral medication. I was to get a lab report and if that test indicated, a scan every three months.

During February I had two episodes of nausea and frequent indigestion. My son-in-law recommended an over- the - counter medication that had been successful in treating his bouts of indigestion. I began using it and the indigestion never came back. My appetite began to get better. My weight settled down to a normal weight for my height I felt better every day. I began to walk about 2 blocks a day. My hair came back, healthy hair with a blue-gray color, and I had it cut short and spiked. My nails grew so fast that I had to have them trimmed frequently. All through March I felt so well.

Then in May my lab report showed the cancer marker about double what it was in March. I told my oncologist about all the improvements in my condition and that I felt so well. He said that what I told him about the way I felt did not support the lab report and sometimes lab reports are wrong. He set up another lab test and a scan for me. The results from these tests showed the same results I had in March - the cancer was not growing and the marker was the same as it was in March.

Yes, I still have cancer, but so far, it is not growing. My prognosis was a 3-6 months of life twice during the last year. I also got through breast cancer in 1995 and recovered from that.
I am back at most of my activities. I live alone and do my household chores. I am careful to wash my hands frequently and to avoid situations that might compromise my immuine system. I begin every morning with a shower and I dress just as I did when I worked outside the home. I put on makeup and I am ready to go when my daughters or my friends can be my driver. I gave up my car voluntarily after surgery to close a hole in the macula of my left eye. My sight is still good, but I am chronologically challenged (read that as "older")
I believe that there are three specifics which are important to living with cancer. A strong faith enhances a positive attitude. The support of a loving family is vital to help a person come through cancer treatment. The third specific is a treasure trove of friends who care.

I have no expiration date since I am an eternal being. As long as I have life, I will celebrate and live each day to the fullest.
http://www.OpalMarrs.com
I am a Distinguished Toastmaster and Public Speaker. I have writing skills and have written my memoirs. During my career, I took and adjudicated Social Security claims for benefits. I wrote radio scripts and newspaper articles which were distributed all over America. I wrote a column for two or three small weekly newspapers. I held a real estate license in Oklahoma where I was CEO of a Board of REALTORS. After WWII I worked in Germany with my husband during the Army of Occupation and served in an engineering and topographic company helping to repair damage to the infrastructure from the bombing during the war.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Opal_L_Marrs
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7136799

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...